Monday, May 24, 2010

Update

With my recent shoulder problems it was a much needed relief for me mentally to be able to visit a doctor and talk with him about my concerns. I've thrown only 3 times in 16 days since I pulled my self from a game a few weeks back. Each of the 3 times I threw, my shoulder bothered me pretty bad, at least enough for me to shut it down before I even finished the program. I went no further than 60ft in any of the throwing sessions. So thats kind of where I am now. No throwing, just watching.

I went up to St. Pete today to get an MRI done on my right shoulder to see if any new problem has shown up..again. This was my 3rd MRI. Something I'm not proud of. I'm also not a big fan of the MRI machine, its like being in a casket or something, really a tight squeeze. I don't enjoy feeling claustrophobic. It was a long day in St. Pete. I had an 8:20a.m. appointment for the MRI and I didn't get to visit with the doctor until 3p.m. I did take a book so that helped. Like I said, the doctor came in my room at about 3p.m. and gave me some news that wasn't all that unexpected. He did a few strength test, took a look at the MRI and let me know what he thought.

The bad news is obviously I'm facing a huge hurdle standing in front of me since day one of the surgery so he just reiterated that to me first. This wasn't anything I wasn't already aware of so that news although not the best, wasn't anything unexpected. I did experience some discomfort in some of the tests he performed but my strength was "good." The strength isn't what concerns me, its the discomfort. He also said that there probably is some damage still done to the labrum. This damage could either be old scar tissue rearing its ugly little head or maybe something new. Without opening my shoulder up and taking a look inside, its difficult for any doctor to tell because of the magnitude of my previous surgery. This seems like it is bad news, but honestly it was kind of the best thing that could have happened in a bad situation. So, it was determined today that there is no obvious damage at revealed by the MRI. So thats a relief. Also, the area Dr. Andrews fixed 2 years ago seems to be 'doing its job' at least those were his words. I am feeling some serious discomfort in my shoulder but it was good to talk to a doctor and get his opinion or guess.

The other news though not good news is that my shoulder doesn't require surgery just yet. I honestly thought I was going to be on the operating table later this week. What we did do today was inject another Cortisone shot into my shoulder. I had one only 9 days ago and it didn't help at all. The difference this time around was the shot was placed directly into the joint. It was an extremely uncomfortable feeling but I hope it helps. Time will tell.

Anyway, thats where I am now. Just playing the waiting game of life. I think life is up on me and may be pitching a shutout. I did have a friend tell me recently
"a smooth sea never makes a skilled sailor"


..This was and is all from my point of view

1 comment:

  1. Good luck buddy, I had my share of Cortizone and Andrews. I know sometimes it gets hard knowing how easy it was for you to fan folks. I hope and pray your arm is healed, and if not i hope you will seek my advice on the fine art of the power-lunge fastball approach.
    P.S. Its a carosel it goes up and down with the music, in a circle. Good things

    Much Love,
    BB

    ReplyDelete