Wednesday, May 12, 2010

SportsCenter


As of today my frustration with SportsCenter(on ESPN) has officially reached its tipping point. We all have things in our lives that at one moment or another drive us crazy to a point where we need to reevaluate what it is that keeps bringing us back for more. Its pretty simple for me to determine what brings me back repeatedly. Since I was a younger than I am now, I have always had a love of sports. Most of the major American sports: baseball, basketball, and football lead the list. Also, other sports like golf, soccer, and tennis I find myself watching daily, it seems like my love for sports just cant get enough. When I turn on a television my first instinct is straight to ESPN. If I am at home its ch.14, at school its ch. 32, in Port Charlotte its ch.29. No matter where I reside or visit I know where ESPN is almost immediately. And if where I am has DirectTV its ch. 206. Yeah, its that bad. It seems as though I was born with this instinct. Well, I believe I was born with a love of sports so in return my earthly instinct is drawn to sports. With this said, it is easy for me to understand what keeps bringing me back to that ESPN channel: I heart sports.

I had an epiphany earlier today about my craving of sports. I was watching SportsCenter, which at times seems like the only channel we have on in the clubhouse, and, it hit me. The light bulb went off and it became clear to me that SportsCenter, the show on ESPN, is ineffectual. It does absolutely nothing for me. It begins around 4 in the morning and runs until 2 in the afternoon. The same show. On repeat. Over. And Over. And Over again. I then thought about sports being a lot like history. Once something happens no matter how much we wish we could change the outcome in our favor, it has gone down in what we like to call history. For instance, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 it went down as an event in history. It happened. The results of that significant event will never change. In sports, when the Rays beat the Angels last night, that event happened on May 11, 2010. Today, May 12th both Pearl Harbor and the Rays beating the Angels happened. They are events in history that occurred, the result will never change. I say that to say this, I don't really have a love for knowing about Pearl Harbor like I do knowing about the Rays beating the Angels, but I would rather spend my time hearing peoples opinions about why Pearl Harbor occurred opposed to hearing peoples insight on why the Rays beat the Angels. SportsCenter just doesn't give the scores anymore, which if they did I would be much more drawn to watch, they now like to: play all the new "cool" songs or use quotes from the song, check Twitter, try to be funny and "cool," criticize Tebow, and not to mention many others. Just give me the scores. I mean honestly, how can you decide it is cool to dedicate an entire segment to the feud between Dallas Braden and A-Rod? Now SC likes to give their opinions on every event. To make it worse, a lot of the anchors on SC like to try and be what we like to call: hip. I cannot take it anymore, and I can control my dosage of SC so I now will begin my week long boycott of the show.

SportsCenter does nothing for me anymore. I just want the scores, which I can find and create my own opinions about. I love sports and believe I always will but SportsCenter is just pointless. If you watch the show, try and notice all the "cool" innuendo's or popular quotes the anchors try and use. To me, it just seems the show is all about being "cool"

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Agree completely except for the tebow thing. Text me and we'll chat about it since we are incapable of talking on the phone. Btw u might get a surprise visit from the MAC and the fish next weekend. Maybe more.

    ReplyDelete