Saturday, March 6, 2010

My trip to Port Charlotte

I'm not exactly sure how this blog will turn out, or if I will even make blogging a new habit of mine. I am an awfully passive person when it comes to constructive habits such as reading, blogging, and eating healthy. Although, when it comes to things like sleeping in, fast food, video games, not reading, procrastination, useless thoughts, I am one of the best. Notice my non-constructive list outweighs my constructive list by a long shot. This is something I want to fix, I want to feel more constructive, become more positive, and try and be structured. With that little bit said, here is a "d" students* version of some things that I experience and the thoughts that accompany these events.

Today was the first day of spring training 2010 for the Tampa Bay Rays minor league players. Pitchers and catchers reported today, March 6th, for our first workout. After a long drive from Tupelo, Mississippi yesterday, I was exhausted. I somehow managed to turn a 12-13 hour drive to more like a 14-15 hour drive. I totally blame the Garmin. Darn thing had me go through Nashville to get to Florida. Well thats a complete lie, but it seemed that way. Ha, for some reason, at times I was told to turn one what seemed like two-lane county roads. I should change my settings or something, I don't know what was up with my Garmin's brain. Im sitting there cruising along in interstate mode and boom, two-lane! Some of the speed limits were as low as 35mph. Well with this interstate mind frame I was in caught up to me in the form of a patrol car from somewhere in southwest Georgia. I was pulled over for going 57 in a 45. I knew it too. In the recent pursuit of my degree in law enforcement, I learned more than I thought I did from talking to sheriff deputies about what civilians should do when pulled over to better their chances of maybe driving off without a ticket. I needed every bit of the things I learned and a good attitude from the police officer to escape this one. Luckily for me, to make a really long story short, I escaped the state of Georgia without a speeding ticket. Also, unbeknownst to me, a lot more than just a speeding ticket. It was one of those situations where you just get lucky. I got lucky yesterday, although as I said earlier, it was something I was completely unaware of.

Anyhow, I was eventually back in my car and driving south. I don't respond well to getting into trouble, can't really say I know anyone who does, but when I am faced with a situation like my speeding violation, I get really nervous. For the lack of a better reference, I don't have a good poker face. I was scared, honestly, scared. I pulled over about 5 miles down the road to "fill-up"(had a little more than half a tank), but I know it was to let myself "cool-off." It wasn't an hour later, I was cruising along in the left lane on I-10 just east of Tallahassee when the green BMW in front of me slammed on the brakes and swerved her car into the median, I followed. I hit my brakes and the anti-lock brake system in my car kicked in and I swerved my car into the median as well, dodging her car and coming to a stop quickly there after. Other than slamming on the brakes on I-10, the close encounter went as well as it could have. I wasn't hurt, neither was the young girl in the BMW. Other than being a little spooked, my car and I were both okay. To my knowledge, everyone ended up okay. Needless to say after my run in with the police and my near accident, I drove 10 and 2 the rest of the way.

The rest of the trip was all interstate and not as eventful. Once I get to Tampa, I feel like I am home just because of the familiarity of the roads there. I ended up making it to Port Charlotte around 9:30 last night, only four and a half hours after the required check in time for the players, 5p.m. I grabbed a quick bite to eat at none other than Walgreens, which is next door. It was more like a snack. I got in the shower and then ready for bed.

I thank the Lord for letting me arrive here safely, and also for the blessing he has given me with the opportunity the continue chasing a childhood dream of mine.

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff big fella. Keep it up. Good luck this year. I would jack your stuff out of the park though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbeknownst...Heard ya. Seriously though, good read and good luck with everything this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read! I got one if you ever want to check it out. I saw your poker face or lack there of and your inability to turn down those cookies ha in one night at D rocks. Keep up the good work hopefully talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never can tell with those South GA Cops! Good luck my brother.

    ReplyDelete